I have always had a sweet tooth. Well, truthfully, everyone in my family does. I love cake, cookies, cake pops, cupcakes and of course a great slice of pie. A few years ago I was introduced to Fireman Derek’s Bake Shop, a family owned and operated South Florida based bakery specializing in handcrafted pies, cakes, cheesecakes, cookies and decadent one-of-a-kind desserts. The bake shop was established by retired Miami fireman Derek Kaplan, who created his vision through a love of baking at a very young age. Fireman Derek’s Bake Shop in Wynwood opened up in July 2014 and instantly became a hit. By 2016, after years of juggling two careers, Kaplan retired from the fire department to pursue his baking career full time. In March 2019, Kaplan opened the Coconut Grove location located right on Main Highway (here’s the amazing backstory).
I have yet to visit the original Wynwood shop, as I live very close to the Coconut Grove store. Needless to say my family has visited numerous times, as they offer a variety of amazing pies, cakes, brownies, cookies, bread pudding, etc. Here are my Top 5, although you really cannot go wrong with any of them:
- Stuffed Guava White Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie. Imagine a soft, chewy white chocolate cookie cheesecake pie stuffed with gobs of guava. Melts in your mouth!
- Guava Cheesecake. Graham cracker crust signature guava cheesecake filling and guava and white chocolate sauce (can you tell I am slightly obsessed with guava).
- Key Lime Pie. Kaplan’s classic Key Lime made with condensed milk, egg yolks and freshly squeezed juice from nearly two pounds of local key limes.
- Cookies & Cream Pie. Chocolate cookie crust, layer of chocolate ganache, cookies and cream mousse with crushed cookies and white chocolate drizzle. My daughter’s favorite!
- Salty Monkey Pie. Chocolate cookie crust, bananas in chocolate ganache, white chocolate and peanut butter mousse, with pretzels and chocolate drizzle. My husband loves this one!
As you can see they all look heavenly. If you cannot decide on just one, you can always sample a few different ones, as they are also sold by the slice. Below is the menu, although I believe they also offer unique creations for holidays and special occasions.
Have you stopped by Fireman Derek’s Bake Shop? If you live in South Florida or are visiting, make sure to check them out. I would love to know which pies/cakes are your favorites.